|Directed by:||Ishirô Honda|
|Written by:||Shin'ichi Sekizawa|
|Produced by:||Tomoyuki Tanaka|
|Music by:||Akira Ifukube|
|Edited by:||Ryôhei Fujii|
|Distributed by:||Toho Company, Ltd.|
American International Pictures
|Released:||December 22nd, 1963|
|Running time:||94 min.|
Atragon is a Japanese feature film of the science fiction and adventure genres. It is a tokusatsu daikaiju film and is part of the greater Godzilla film series. The movie was directed by Ishirô Honda with a screenplay written by Shin'ichi Sekizawa based on elements of the novels Kaitei gunkan and Kaitei okaku by authors Shunrô Oshikawa and Shigeru Komatsuaki. The movie premiered in Japan on December 22nd, 1963. It has no sequels, though elements of the film have crossed over into other "Godzillaverse" movie projects.
|Tadao Takashima||Photographer Susumu Hatanaka|
|Yôko Fujiyama||Makoto Jinguji, the Captain's daughter|
|Yû Fujiki||Yoshito Nishibe|
|Kenji Sahara||Uoto Unno, Journalist/Mu agent|
|Ken Uehara||Retired Admiral Kusumi|
|Hiroshi Koizumi||Detective Itô|
|Jun Tazaki||Captain Hachiro Jinguji|
|Yoshifumi Tajima||Tome "Amano" Amanoshome|
|Akihiko Hirata||Mu agent #23|
|Hideyo Amamoto||High priest of Mu|
|Susumu Fujita||Defense commander|
|Minoru Takada||Government official|
|Hisaya Itô||Shindo, kidnapped scientist|
|Ikio Sawamura||Taxi driver|
|Tetsuko Kobayashi||Empress of Mu|
|Akemi Kita||Rimako, sneezing model|
|Nadao Kirino||Kidnapped scientist|
|Shin Ôtomo||Government official|
|Tetsu Nakamura||Warship captain|
|Kôji Uno||Police officer|
|Sadako Amemiya||Memoko, girl in Susumu's studio|
|Yutaka Oka||Man on bus|
|Yukihiko Gondô||Military official|
|Shôichi Hirose||Mu henchman|
|Katsumi Tezuka||Mu henchman|
|Yasuzô Ogawa||Mu henchman|
|Wataru Ômae||Police officer|
|Osman Yusuf||Mu submarine crewman|
- The Japanese title for this film is Kaitei gunkan (海底軍艦). The literal translation means, Undersea Battleship.
- Atragon premiered in the United States on March 11th, 1965. The film was distributed through American International Pictures (AIP).
- Atragon premiered on DVD in Region 1 format by Tokyo Shock in 2006. It had an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 (anamorphic) with Japanese dialogue, English dubbing and English subtitles.
- Atragon is also the name of the submersible vessel featured in the film.
- First appearance of Manda, which is an ancient sea serpent.
- Atragon is Ishirô Honda's thirty-fifth feature film as a director. It is his sixth film in the greater "Godzillaverse" film series.
- Actor Takuzô Kumagai is credited as Jirô Kumagai in this film.
- In English-dubbed translations of the film, Makoto Jinguji's name is changed to Makoto Shinguji.
- Actress Akemi Kita received additional exposure (both literally and figuratively) in American promotional material for the film as the model wearing the leopard-skin bikini.
- "An adventure beyond your wildest dreams - as a Super-Weapon meets Super-Force with the fate of the Universe at stake!"
- "See the JUGGERNAUT of Destruction Challenge the Incredible EMPIRE Beneath the Sea!"
- "See! The terror swath of the deadly Astral Disks!"
- "See! The Exotic Rites and Grotesque Passions of the Kingdom of Mu!"
- "See! Underwater Juggernauts of Destruction!"
- "Ride the JUGGERNAUT of destruction from the depths of the Seven Seas to the Outer Limits of Space!"
Giant monster films